In simple words public cloud is basically ‘INTERNET’. Public Cloud is based on shared physical hardware and & is owned and operated by third party provider. The model of cloud is distributed computing, providing wide range of consumers on a virtual envision with cloud architecture of shared physical resources and is accessible on public network such as web. To some extent they can be defined as opposed to private cloud which ring-fence the pool of underlying computing resources. A distinct cloud platform is created with only single organizational access.
Public cloud provide state-of-the-art infrastructure with improved efficiency at pay as per usage cost. A general perception that public clouds are not secured and data can easily be accessed by any individual. This concern has been a matter for consideration for many researchers and IT professionals. One of the reason many businesses prefer to opt for managed cloud services which includes benefits of public cloud giving them in a virtualized private environment. These companies offering the services will also provide with disaster recovery and data back up plans so that intense situations like cloud collapse or data crush could be handled or managed with ease and less efforts. The public cloud model is ideal for small and medium sized business with fluctuating demand. The infrastructure cost is distributed among number of users, each can take advantage of low cost considering the size of public clouds, and the scaling can be done in aligning to the business demand in short span of time.
The salient examples of cloud computing tend to fall into the public model because they are, by definition publicly available. Software as a Service (SaaS) offerings such as cloud storage and online office applications are perhaps the most familiar, but widely available infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service(PaaS) offerings, include cloud based web hosting’s and development environments, can follow the model as well.
The most notable cases of distributed computing tend to fall into general society cloud display since they are, by definition, freely accessible. Programming as an Administration (SaaS) offerings, for example, distributed storage and online office applications are maybe the most natural, however broadly accessible Foundation as an Administration (IaaS) and Stage as an Administration (PaaS) offerings, including cloud based web facilitating and improvement situations, can take after the model too (albeit all can likewise exist inside private mists). Open mists are utilized broadly in offerings for private people who are more averse to require the level of framework and security offered by private mists. In any case, venture can in any case use open mists to make their operations fundamentally more effective, for instance, with the capacity of non-delicate substance, online report coordinated effort and webmail.
People in general model offers the accompanying components and advantages:
- Inexpensive set up- The pay as you go model and the resources put together benefiting largest economies of scale. The users can save on money and time with advantage of no capital investment of any hosting space and pay based on the usage.
- No administration of the underlying physical infrastructure is required.
- Simple framework- Provisioning of infrastructure and services is simple in Public cloud.
- Freedom of Self-service-The businesses that opt for public cloud need to do is visit public cloud portals and get started with it.No dependency on third party for public cloud. The handling and managing will be done by you as you are the prime proprietor of it.
- Reliability- The public cloud service will not be affected by the failure of any single point making it vulnerable. On the other hand the sheer number of servers and networks involved in creating public cloud and the redundancy configurations framed will be working smoothly without any interruption and service will still remain unaffected.
- Flexibility- There are innumerable of IaaS, PaaS and SaaS services available in the market which follow the public cloud model and can be accessed from anywhere by connecting to the web. These services can fulfil most computing requirements and can deliver their benefits to private and enterprise clients. The integration of public and private cloud can be done to create hybrid clouds inorder to perform sensitive business functions.
- Location independence- The availability of public cloud services with internet connection with ensures ease in reaching the client location. It provides number of opportunities to act with remote access to IT infrastructure in case of emergencies or online document collaboration from multiple locations.